Hadhrat Dr Abdul Hayy Arifi (Rahimahullah) of Karachi, Pakistan has mentioned that in daily life there are one of four conditions that a person experiences :
1. Conditions that conform to a person’s liking and wishes
2. Conditions that are contrary to one’s wishes
3. Recalling the mistakes of the past and the losses incurred thereby
4. Fear of the challenges that lie ahead
Our response and approach to these four conditions should be as follows:
– When conditions are favourable one should express gratitude – Allahumma lakal Hamd walakashukr – this will preserve the goodness.
– When conditions are unfavourable, recite Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon – this will bring the reward of patience and grant one the proximity of Allah Ta’ala.
– When recalling the errors and losses of the past, say Astaghfirullah – past sins will be wiped away.
– When fearing what is to come say, Allahumm inni auzu bika min jameeil fitan ma zahara minha wama batan – through this supplication the future will be protected.
From the discourses of Hadhrat Dr. Abdul Hayy Arifi (Rahimahullah)